Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The reduced genetic diversity which results when a population is descended from a small number of colonizing ancestors.
- ‘The differences between replicates possibly result from a founder effect.’
- ‘Demographic history appears to have been stable for the auklets throughout the past several million years, and a founder effect associated with their speciation is unlikely.’
- ‘This is best explained by a male founder effect during the colonization of northeast India that is estimated to have occurred within the past 4,000 years.’
- ‘This large number of reported inherited diseases has two main causes: the close surveillance to which dogs are subjected, and the founder effect and inbreeding practiced in pure-bred dogs that uncovers recessive disease alleles.’
- ‘The two-dimensional pattern of colonization also played a major role, increasing the number of source populations for each newly founded population and thus strongly reducing the founder effect.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.