One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of the straight lines extending from home plate down to the first and third bases and marking the limit of the playing area, within which a hit is deemed to be fair.
- ‘A distance of 320 feet or more along the foul lines, and 400 feet or more to center field is preferable.’
- ‘Ortiz's power from foul line to foul line makes him tough to pitch to.’
- ‘He has ranged from left-center field to the third base foul line for balls.’
- ‘The right field foul line was 247 feet, with a 12-foot fence and 40-foot high screen.’
- ‘In 1936, Forbes Field featured a 300-foot right field foul line ending with a nine and one-half foot concrete wall, capped by an additional 18 feet of wire mesh.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.