One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball struck so that it falls outside the lines drawn from home plate down to the first and third bases.
- ‘A foul ball and an outside pitch ran the count to 1 and 2.’
- ‘My dad caught a foul ball in the third inning, and my dad's friend later took my brother down to the Yankees' dugout and had the ball autographed by the team.’
- ‘With one out in the ninth and the strikeout total at 25, the next batter hit a high foul ball between first and home plate.’
- ‘The next batter, Adam Shorts, popped a foul ball down the first base line.’
- ‘White Sox hitters were consistently late on the fastball, hitting four foul balls in the inning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.