One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball struck so that it falls outside the lines drawn from home plate down to the first and third bases.
- ‘With one out in the ninth and the strikeout total at 25, the next batter hit a high foul ball between first and home plate.’
- ‘White Sox hitters were consistently late on the fastball, hitting four foul balls in the inning.’
- ‘My dad caught a foul ball in the third inning, and my dad's friend later took my brother down to the Yankees' dugout and had the ball autographed by the team.’
- ‘A foul ball and an outside pitch ran the count to 1 and 2.’
- ‘The next batter, Adam Shorts, popped a foul ball down the first base line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.