One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child who is fostered or adopted.
- ‘St. Ita was a holy nun, outwardly fierce but inwardly tender, especially towards her numerous fosterlings.’
- ‘All of the nursemaids are on their best behavior and wear stones of my mother's favorite qualities in a male when their fosterlings are almost too old for them.’
- ‘Therefore, we encourage you not to adopt your fosterlings and to remain in the Foster Care Program.’
- ‘Naturally they will think us all as ignorant and immoral as our fosterlings.’
- ‘His son and fosterlings were well received in the town.’
Old English fōstorling (see foster, -ling).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.