One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In turn, rural women's willingness to receive the ‘children of Providence’ may be explained not only by the wage they earned but also by their cultural familiarity with wet nursing and fosterage.’
- ‘Deputy Browne also questioned the change in the payments regarding fosterage of children, which now means that the Orphan's Allowance is included in the Foster Care Payment.’
- ‘The orphanage continued to subcontract care of infants to the households of poor women, capitalizing as it always had on the ubiquity of wet nursing and fosterage in popular culture.’
- ‘Their presence in non-natal households reflects the ubiquity of fosterage, adoption, apprenticeship, and child domestic labor - diverse but overlapping practices I refer to collectively as child circulation.’
- ‘This racial differential remains after controls for economic crisis are used, suggesting that it is rooted in the West African tradition of child fosterage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.