One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A family that provides custody or guardianship for children whose parents are dead or unable to look after them.‘the children ended up living with foster families for more than two months’
- ‘He was removed from his family as a young boy and spent four and a half years in an orphanage before being taken in by a foster family.’
- ‘Children in need of care usually stay at the safe house until they can be placed with a foster family.’
- ‘Even though the boy loved his foster family, I wanted him returned to his mother.’
- ‘Martha informally adopted her until a suitable foster family could be found.’
- ‘He raised money and found foster families for each child.’
- ‘The children are said to have been placed with a foster family on the island until relatives arrive to collect them and bring them back to the UK.’
- ‘Foster families come from a range of family situations.’
- ‘Eight months later, social workers found a foster family for the children.’
- ‘The boy now lives in a south coast town with his foster family.’
- ‘He remains in contact with members of his former foster families.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.