One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The record of the occurrence and evolution of living organisms through geological time as inferred from fossils.
- ‘This bed is highly important because it records the first appearance of organisms with hard parts in the fossil record.’
- ‘All crustaceans first appear in the fossil record in the Paleozoic Era.’
- ‘The early history of pterosaurs is not yet fully understood because of their poor fossil record in the Triassic period.’
- ‘All of this splitting is to make the human fossil record conform to the fossil record of other groups.’
- ‘Bryozoa is the only major phylum that does not have a fossil record in the Cambrian.’
- ‘They are absent in the fossil record between the Early Carboniferous and the Late Permian.’
- ‘It is commonly believed that the fossil record provides the most direct evidence for evolution.’
- ‘The largest gap in the fossil record is thought to be the evolution from prokaryote to eukaryote cells.’
- ‘This type of organism is very rarely preserved in the fossil record.’
- ‘Actually the real reason there are gaps in the fossil record is because of geological changes over time.’
- ‘Some paleontologists do study the fossil record of humans and their relatives.’
- ‘The most direct account of our past is inferred from the fossil record.’
- ‘The Entoprocta is also a small phylum and the oldest fossil record is from the Upper Jurassic.’
- ‘The fossil record of emballonurids extends to the late Eocene or early Oligocene.’
- ‘Moreover, for this phase of metazoan evolution, the fossil record is extremely poor.’
- ‘Charred peat surfaces have been reported in the fossil record but are absent in the K-T peat sequences.’
- ‘Records of interspecies interaction have seldom been preserved in the fossil record.’
- ‘Charophytes are prone to calcification and have left an abundant fossil record up to the Cretaceous, and perhaps beyond.’
- ‘Thus their first occurrence in the fossil record is a metric of particular interest.’
- ‘Their handiwork expands debate over how to identify hominid species in the fossil record.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.