Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Boldness or overfamiliarity in manner.‘I hope that my forwardness hasn't offended you’
boldness, brashness, brazenness, barefacedness, shamelessness, immodesty, audacity, effrontery, daring, presumption, familiarity, overfamiliarity, irreverence, over-assertiveness, overconfidence, overweening natureView synonyms
- ‘William was taken aback by the girl's forwardness.’
- ‘I think my forwardness was starting to make him a little uncomfortable.’
- ‘Alex chuckled, and Lily blushed at her own forwardness.’
- ‘The flap is measured in two dimensions, first measurement being the length and second being the forwardness of the flaps.’
- ‘Katherine was slightly abashed at his forwardness and lingered outside of the house, not really wanting to go in.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.