One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seeker for gold in the California gold rush of 1849.
- ‘We identified the person in the photograph as Mary McCloskey, a young girl who sought her fortune in the California goldfields as a forty-niner.’
- ‘Photographers like Vance captured studio dream and camp reality, treasured as mementos of a personal journey by the forty-niners and their female relatives.’
- ‘Beyond the sudden wealth, the celebrity criminals, and a few famous writers, the forty-niners ushered California into the modern age with an environmental disaster of the first magnitude.’
- ‘It was the grape of choice to slake the thirst of forty-niners.’
- ‘Tucked in the northwest corner of Nevada, the Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon look much the same as they did when the forty-niners journeyed through.’
- ‘Based in Walnut Creek and Lotus, Calif. - right by the mother lode that drew the forty-niners out West for the Gold Rush - AO Rafting seems isolated, deep in canyon country.’
- ‘J.D. Borthwick, an English visitor, was amused at the swaggering style of the forty-niners.’
- ‘Born in Placerville, California, where his maternal grandparents were forty-niners, Gagliani grew up in the Italian community of San Francisco.’
- ‘During the great California gold rush of 1849, thousands of forty-niners made fortunes mining gold.’
- ‘On the eve of departure, many forty-niners also visited the daguerreian studio to have a ‘likeness’ or two taken for their closest and best-loved female companions, their mothers, wives and sweethearts.’
- ‘The following year saw thousands of forty-niners heading west to make their fortune.’
- ‘Most of these ‘forty-niners’ had never before left the places where they had grown up.’
- ‘Actually, the forty-niners employed technology from the beginning.’
- ‘As the forty-niners crossed the Rockies, one-third of them, after reaching Fort Bridger in southwestern Wyoming, detoured from the main trail through southern Idaho and across northern Nevada.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.