One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjectiveMusic
(especially as a direction) very loud or loudly.‘the movement ends with a fortissimo coda’
noisy, blaring, booming, deafening, roaring, thunderous, thundering, tumultuous, clamorous, blasting, head-splitting, ear-splitting, ear-piercing, piercingView synonyms
- ‘Mendelssohn uses the 6/8 time to introduce a theme which is not Scottish at all and finishes fortissimo.’
- ‘The following sections deal with four issues particularly relevant to small-handed players: legato playing; fortissimo playing; playing octaves, large chords, and arpeggios; and fingering.’
- ‘Polk's coloration, her contrasts between pianissimo and fortissimo moments, are similar to Sviatoslav Richter's rendition of César Franck's Piano Quintet.’
- ‘The D minor fortissimo outburst at letter C always reminds me of Moses on the Mount admonishing Aaron and the sinners below.’
- ‘It began rather tamely, I am afraid, and started to fall to pieces after the first fortissimo downward scale.’
A passage performed or marked to be performed very loudly.‘Tchaikovsky's fortissimos are given plenty of weight in the bass’
- ‘Albeit a short piece of music, the build-up into the final fortissimo in the string section was magnificent, and the audience certainly showed their appreciation.’
- ‘It does not like to be beaten up for a fortissimo and if you do this, it will get back at you by giving you a rather tinny sound.’
- ‘His touch could be warm, deep, full, and broad in the fortes, and not hard even in the fortissimos; and his pianos, always of carrying power, could be as round and transparent as a dewdrop.’
- ‘Very sensitive was his Verschwiegene Nachtigall and Ein Traum was truly a dream of a performance, with a good fortissimo that was only topped by the immense applause that accompanied the end of the first quarter.’
- ‘The sudden fortissimo in the middle section is probably Janacek storming off in another of his enormous huffs.’
Italian, from Latin fortissimus ‘very strong’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.