One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
preposition & adverbScottish, Northern Irish
Facing or in front of.as preposition ‘I stood fornent a roaring fire’
- ‘There's a quay fornent it.’
- ‘The lady would sit fornenst me.’
- ‘He spread the fifty notes fornent him.’
- ‘He lived in a little house fornent the chapel.’
- ‘Every year after yon, in the winter time, a seal came up fornent the house.’
Early 16th century: from fore + anent.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.