Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Of or denoting the acyl radical —CHO, derived from formic acid.‘N-formyl methionine’
- ‘Sfgh catalyzes the second step in the detoxification reaction, in which glutathione is restored and the formyl group is released as formate.’
- ‘Once the formyl group is removed, it prevents higher than expected O parameters.’
- ‘Two spectroscopic signatures associated with formyl group CH modes suggest that P740 is a dimeric Chl d-containing species.’
- ‘However, since the formyl derivatives, especially diformyl derivative, have spectroscopic features similar to those of PpIX, it is difficult to distinguish these isomers from PpIX by spectroscopic means.’
- ‘The formyl termini have been patched onto the last valine residue in the sequence of each monomer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.