One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sensation like insects crawling over the skin.
tingle, tingling sensation, tingling, prickling sensation, chill, thrill, itching, creeping sensation, gooseflesh, goose pimples, pins and needlesView synonyms
- ‘Here the symptoms were epileptic seizures, spastic movements, dance-like twitching, and formication.’
- ‘My limited knowledge tells me it could be connected to the onset of menopause - formication.’
- ‘My understanding is that the word ‘formication’ is used by doctors to imply an imaginary itching.’
- ‘Pimozide is similar to haloperidol in chemical structure and potency, and has been shown to be uniquely effective in the treatment of this condition, especially in decreasing formication.’
- ‘The name for this sensation is formication (with an ‘m’).’
- ‘Itching, tingling, and ‘formication’ (sensation as of crawling insects) are also common symptoms due to bubbles forming in the skin.’
- ‘The sores on the arms are from something called ‘formication’.’
Early 18th century: from Latin formicatio(n-), from formicare ‘crawl like an ant’ (said of the pulse or skin), from formica ‘ant’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.