One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garden laid out in a conventional and ordered design.‘the Georgian house is surrounded by formal gardens’‘a formal garden with an ornamental pool and wooded walks’
- ‘It draws beautifully on French formal gardens, at first luring the viewer with a sense of calm familiarity, then captivating the eye with details which are exciting and current.’
- ‘The right-hand wing features a room that overlooks the formal gardens.’
- ‘Another unusual feature was the discovery of large formal gardens within the courtyard and in front of the palace, now partly reconstructed.’
- ‘Walk a bit farther in this direction if you want to visit the beautiful formal gardens and wildlife park.’
- ‘Though weeds may be banished from the central beds of a formal garden, they were still capable of sturdy growth and a beauty all their own.’
- ‘Figures are posed in formal gardens, evoking an air of romantic ennui, a nostalgia for a vanished age.’
- ‘In 1809, the grand country house had its formal gardens torn up to create a romantic wilderness.’
- ‘The small, variously shaped flowerbeds of his formal garden still survive.’
- ‘Visitors can also enjoy strolling about the now mature formal garden, which also lies within the moated area.’
- ‘Each dormitory had a formal garden in front of it, a small plot with tropical plants that we tried to clip into funny shapes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.