One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing suitable for an official or important occasion.‘two groups of men in full formal dress’
- ‘Chamber music has long had an austere image of performers with furrowed brows and formal dress, but members of the Hebrides Ensemble hope to change all that as they embarks on their Heritage tour.’
- ‘Although some ex-servicemen still wear formal dress at breakfast, others aren't so punctilious.’
- ‘She became acutely aware of the formal dress within the hall, and here she was in a pair of faded and torn jeans.’
- ‘We see him seated, in formal dress, with a top hat in his hand.’
- ‘The university told male students they must only wear formal dress of a black morning suit and white bow tie.’
- ‘The children donned formal dress for the first time last week to promote this year's upcoming ball.’
- ‘School entrance ceremonies and graduations are attended by parents in formal dress.’
- ‘As a regular at my church, formal dress was the norm for me.’
- ‘Everyone looked so well and the formal dress made this special occasion a night to remember.’
- ‘Formal dress and frilly frocks would not be necessary for the film festival.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.