One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
That part of the drag on an aerofoil which arises from its shape. It varies according to the angle of attack and can be decreased by streamlining.
- ‘At high swimming speeds, the energy lost in overcoming induced drag is lower than for form drag.’
- ‘Car designers can reduce form drag by streamlining an object used for transportation, like a bike or a car.’
- ‘Discussions with Christoph at AIR, who is very helpful, revealed that the slop needs to be there because at high speeds, the form drag on the side wires would otherwise deploy the spoilers slightly.’
- ‘Drag in swimming is derived from three main sources: form drag, wave drag and surface drag.’
- ‘In order to minimise the form drag the projectile needs to be ‘streamlined’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.