One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Hungary, equal to 100 filler.
- ‘We charge 49,999 forints for a plot on the Moon.’
- ‘Month-to-date, the Swedish krona, Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Norwegian krone have gained almost 5% against the dollar.’
- ‘Plus, currencies in these markets have strengthened, meaning returns in Hungarian forints or Brazilian reals get a boost when rendered in dollars.’
- ‘Once the Hungarian forint goes, the markets will turn on the currencies of better-run economies like Poland and the Czech and Slovak Republics.’
- ‘So you will still have to cope with the kroon, zloty, tolar and forint for a few years.’
- ‘Even the market for the Hungarian forint, a previously strong currency, this week faltered in illiquidity.’
- ‘It's just a bit too disparate, though, and not quite as beautiful as the Czech capital, and again we got very seriously ripped off by a taxi driver who insisted we'd given him 500 forints when actually we'd given him 5000.’
- ‘The sentences, however, were later reduced, prompting the young victim in late July to seek a half-million forints in damages from the state.’
- ‘In Hungary, the forint came under severe pressure this year because of the rising state deficit.’
- ‘Among the birds - valued at 5.1 million forints - were yellow wagtails, field larks, sparrows and pipits.’
- ‘On the upside, the Japanese yen gained 4.3%, the Hungarian forint 3.0%, the Iceland krona 2.9%, and the Indian rupee 2.0%.’
- ‘The bad news is that the admission to the United sector is a hefty 12,000 forints.’
- ‘On the downside, the South African rand declined 3%, the Hungarian forint 1.6%, and the British pound 1.3%.’
- ‘Until Hungary joins the Euro-zone in 2010, the legal currency is the Hungarian forint - although some restaurants and hotels will accept euros.’
- ‘It's wrong to give so much money to a couple of historical films - 2 billion forints [8 million dollars] - and neglect new directors making films about contemporary subjects.’
- ‘Now she works 12 hours a day collecting 40 Hungarian forints from every person who wants to use the toilets.’
- ‘On the downside, the Iceland krona fell 2.4%, the Uruguay peso 1.6%, the Hungarian forint 1.4%, and the Polish zloty 1.4%.’
- ‘The South African rand sank 7% and the Hungarian forint 4%.’
- ‘Here's 300 forints, get half a kilo and a beer for yourself.’
- ‘We will buy forints in Hungary, zlotys in Poland and tolars in Slovenia.’
Hungarian, from Italian fiorino (see florin).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.