One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lowest yard on a sailing ship's foremast.
- ‘She is not more square-rigged than she is taunt; her foreyards do not measure more than 70 feet.’
- ‘At the same time the look-out man on the foreyard sang out, ‘Breakers a-head.’’
- ‘Once the bow has been pushed away from the dock, cast off stern spring, brace around foreyards on a starboard tack.’
- ‘Orion came round but Colossus was in the course of going about when her foreyard and foretop yard where shot away.’
- ‘Her long foreyards give her a generous spread of squaresails for chasing away before the wind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.