One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sail above a sailing ship's foresail.
- ‘The foretopsail is smallish and easy to work on because we can stand in the working top on the foremast.’
- ‘Southern hemisphere ships and non-Venn ships of the north were all fore-and-aft rigged, though many had square foretopsails; raffees had square foresails with triangular foretopsails.’
- ‘The puff died away immediately, however, and no damage was done beyond the splitting of the foretopsail.’
- ‘If the close-reefed foretopsail is carried instead of the main, it can be easily filled.’
- ‘They also have on display the actual foretopsail that was rigged on the Victory during the battle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.