One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The second section of a sailing ship's foremast.
- ‘She was a small fast and shallow draft centerboard schooner and her rig except for foretopmasts and yankee was identical to the Shrewsbury Packets.’
- ‘The Macedonian's mizzenmast was gone, her main and foretopmasts carried away, her main yard cut in two, and her ensign had disappeared.’
- ‘During the race, however, the Walters lost its foretopmast and fell behind.’
- ‘The following morning the foretopmast was found to be chafed through, and in the afternoon the foretopsail was split.’
- ‘Her foretopmast had snapped in the middle-just as it had done on her first run two years before!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.