One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The second section of a sailing ship's foremast.
- ‘During the race, however, the Walters lost its foretopmast and fell behind.’
- ‘The following morning the foretopmast was found to be chafed through, and in the afternoon the foretopsail was split.’
- ‘The Macedonian's mizzenmast was gone, her main and foretopmasts carried away, her main yard cut in two, and her ensign had disappeared.’
- ‘Her foretopmast had snapped in the middle-just as it had done on her first run two years before!’
- ‘She was a small fast and shallow draft centerboard schooner and her rig except for foretopmasts and yankee was identical to the Shrewsbury Packets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.