One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The science or practice of planting, managing, and caring for forests.
forest management, forest planting, forest cultivation, tree growing, forestation, afforestation, agroforestryView synonyms
- ‘He was educated privately in the classics and went on to study medicine and forestry.’
- ‘Irrigation, the norm in the production of most crops, is never used in forestry.’
- ‘Support measures for forestry extend from planting to downstream processing.’
- ‘We need to recruit, and fresh perspectives and talents from outside traditional forestry can only help.’
- ‘There he earned a Bachelor of Science in Fisheries Biology, and a minor in forestry.’
- ‘As he points out, good forestry is part of the solution to nonpoint source pollution.’
- ‘Maintaining balance is never as easy as it looks, particularly in forestry.’
- ‘It almost requires a background in botany, forestry, or ecology to follow some of the passages.’
- ‘While he is working to prolong the current supply, he knows the future of the company lies in intensive forestry.’
- ‘German scientific forestry was couched in a rhetoric of development and modernization.’
- ‘He is the author of numerous books and articles on forestry and historical geography.’
- ‘We here in British Columbia know that forestry is the lifeblood of our province's economy.’
- ‘Among these are many that have changed the face of Canadian forestry.’
- ‘The project would also tell the world that forestry in Canada was embracing environmentally sound practices.’
- ‘Perhaps national forestry could set the example for the private sector in Europe and its colonies.’
- ‘Having a mechanic in the family is an advantage, but forestry is definitely in the blood of the Hodgson family.’
- ‘With this move from conflict to collaboration have come shifts in the language of forestry itself.’
- ‘The most common method of harvesting in forestry is clearcutting, in which entire stands of trees are cut down at the same time.’
- ‘The debate over this separation spurred the introduction of forestry in Sweden.’
- ‘Cattle grazing, forestry and mining are three of the major activities here.’
- 1.1 Country covered by forests.
- ‘Starting at noon, the walkers took to the nine-mile trek through the local snow covered forestry.’
- ‘Beyond that, I also said that assets such as forestry and fish are now being steered and managed by Maori governance.’
- ‘From the forest came the aura of flames, the roar of forestry engulfed in fire and the crackle of burning leaves.’
- ‘It has already contributed carbon credits through increased forestry and reduced livestock numbers.’
- ‘The mystery fire was sparked close to O'Keeffe's shop and it quickly spread to hundreds of acres of forestry in the area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.