One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principal sail on a foremast.
- ‘Next we had to set the course sail, the top sail of the forward mast, then the foresails out over the bowsprit.’
- ‘I used the concept of the sailing boat rig with foresail and mainsail in the 70's as a very slow flying hang glider.’
- ‘Other ships on the high-seas in the late 1700's and up to the end of the 1800's were the sloop, a single masted ship that could carry a mainsail, topsail and foresail.’
- ‘Then he pulled down the sails and stored the foresail - more or less folded - in the small store room under the front deck.’
- ‘A gust of wind hit them as the mizzensail was unfurled, followed by the mainsail and the foresail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.