Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of the front paws of a four-footed animal.
paw, forepaw, hind paw, hoof, trotter, padView synonyms
- ‘They use their sensitive, dexterous forepaws to locate prey, such as worms, in mud.’
- ‘Recent carnivorans can be divided into ambush- and pursuit-types on the basis of the animal's ability to manipulate food items with its forepaws.’
- ‘I won't be leaving Dorey alone at the vet's any more, but I won't soon forget the way he looked, standing on his hind legs slashing the air with his forepaw.’
- ‘A second bear, standing on its hind legs, banged a tambourine with a forepaw.’
- ‘Field diagnosed the kangaroo as a cross between squirrel and deer, with five claws on its forepaw but only three talons on its hind legs, as if it were partly avian (though it did its hopping with its tail).’
- ‘He was brown, with a white ear, a white forepaw, and a white tip on his tail.’
- ‘A tiger was found with a steel trap sunk into its forepaw, and a week later, the park was closed and more than 40 poachers arrested.’
- ‘Prey is located using vision and touch and is captured with the forepaws.’
- ‘She stoops over her heavy tambour frame, at work that fascinates her black spaniel dog, which stands with its forepaws on the front bar to watch her dexterity.’
- ‘I noticed that as it held the plant in its forepaws, it rapidly moved its face and mouth, so that at times they appeared to vibrate.’
- ‘She lay on her stomach with her forepaws stretched out before her, and tail curled tight around her rear.’
- ‘This is all rather like a dog complacently assuming that you will give him the entire turkey if he merely sits on his hind legs and limps his forepaws.’
- ‘The leopard braced for the charge, tail twitching, snarling, head low, outstretched forepaws, hindquarters arched.’
- ‘The forepaws resemble slender human hands and make the raccoon unusually dextrous.’
- ‘They communicate by stamping their forepaws, chattering their teeth, and emitting a variety of whimpers, whines, hisses, and other vocalizations.’
- ‘For he is the cleanest in the use of his forepaws of any quadruped.’
- ‘Measurements were taken of both forepaws and hind paws.’
- ‘Wildcats have five toes on each of their forepaws, but only four toes on each back paw.’
- ‘Its cheeks and stomach were light gray, in addition to the tips of its feet and forepaws.’
- ‘Golden moles burrow mainly using their leathery snout combined with thrusts of the forepaws, which are held under the body (rather than at the sides, as in the talpids).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.