One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of the front legs of a four-footed animal.
- ‘One thing that is quite bizarre about the tyrannosaurs are their tiny little forelegs.’
- ‘Tomorrow sees a test of a different kind, her first race on a turning track, which in itself offers a new challenge to a filly whose bent forelegs have received almost as much publicity as her achievements.’
- ‘Smaller, bonier forelegs can be cooked with the hind legs or reserved for stock or soup.’
- ‘Males have a matt black coat, with white socks and a widening black stripe on the front of their forelegs.’
- ‘One female searched in various spots from 1050 to 1149 hrs before she began digging with the mandibles and forelegs.’
- ‘Punctures of the abdomen were made medial-ventrally, and punctures of the thorax were made laterally at the base of the left foreleg.’
- ‘This was horrible enough, but what made her all the more terrible to behold was the single foreleg she held in front of her.’
- ‘This disease is also caused by a less-than-ideal fit between bone and joint, this time between the foreleg and the upper arm.’
- ‘Near the end of the closure, most females at Presque Isle turned around and broke down the top and sides of the entrance with the forelegs and mandibles.’
- ‘On the day after the final molt, each male was weighed and the tibia-patella length of a foreleg was measured while he was anesthetized with CO 2.’
- ‘The flies' preference for attacking cattle's forelegs can also render ineffective such animal treatments as back rubs and ear tags.’
- ‘Female rejection behavior also may carry costs in terms of increased predation risk, energy expenditure, or wing injuries inflicted by spines on the male's forelegs.’
- ‘The male orients toward the female, follows her, taps her abdomen with his foreleg, extends and vibrates his wing, licks her genitalia, and then mounts her and initiates copulation.’
- ‘The animal threw up its forelegs and plunged ahead in a frantic lopsided gallop, kicking like a donkey, dragging the carriage from one side of the highway to the other.’
- ‘The individual parts of the forelegs are in proportion with one another as well as with the body.’
- ‘He's got a hairline fracture in his foreleg, nothing a little time won't heal, which is good.’
- ‘After he had his fill, the mantis gave his foreleg several swift jerks and freed his leg.’
- ‘Our arms were our forelegs; our own legs, with straight knees, came behind, and, backsides in the air off we went, the tins making a lovely scrunchy sound on the track.’
- ‘The thickness and width of the foreleg, taken at the exact center of the foreleg bone, were measured.’
- ‘As the device is body mounted it causes no negative interference with the forelegs of the horse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.