Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An area of land bordering on another or lying in front of a particular feature.
- ‘The glacier foreland is 2 km long with a chronosequence of developmental stages from recently deglaciated terrain to sites which have been ice-free for 145 years at the terminal moraine dated 1858.’
- ‘There is a cliff top walk to the foreland along the path leading from the old inn near Countisbury.’
- ‘Our finds were not the first ‘warm artifacts’ to be harvested from the forelands of retreating Swiss glaciers.’
- ‘Bars, forelands, and spits are attractive spots for development because they offer easy access to the beach.’
- ‘Floodwater may contain higher carbon dioxide concentrations if the pH is sufficiently low, but both rice fields and river forelands are commonly submerged with water containing little carbon dioxide, e.g. in the range of 3-100 M.’
2A cape or promontory.
- ‘Not content to rest solely on forelands in nearby Ulster, all three were prepared to sell to customers throughout Ireland.’
- ‘Their fleets of ships fought and won battles from the coasts of Kerry to Mizen's wild foreland, to the Mull of Kintyre.’
A stable unyielding block of the earth's crust, against which compression produces a folded mountain range.
- ‘In light of the Euro-African collision being the primary cause of the compressive stresses in the Alpine foreland it is more natural and reasonable to imagine a continuous inversion process rather than one with distinct pulses.’
- ‘The western limit of intense Caledonian deformation is defined by the Moine Thrust Zone, beyond which lies the Caledonian foreland.’
- ‘Therefore, the Lewisian rocks from the Assynt terrane of the Caledonian foreland are an unlikely source for any of the sediment.’
- ‘The early Carboniferous Northumberland Basin, NE England, is one of the northernmost basins that developed in the foreland of the Variscan orogenic belt.’
- ‘Siliciclastic sequences within or close to the Laurentian foreland of the Appalachian-Caledonian Orogen preserve a clear depositional contact with basement that constrains their site of accumulation to Laurentia.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.