Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An object or piece of extraneous matter that has entered the body by accident or design.‘the intrauterine device is a foreign body’figurative ‘an idea from outside the department is viewed as a foreign body’
contaminant, adulterant, pollutant, foreign bodyView synonyms
- ‘The first was to repair the eye immediately after the injury and the second was to remove the foreign body and re-attach the retina.’
- ‘The foreign body that it cannot effectively assimilate is European modernity.’
- ‘They're simply there to stop foreign bodies going into the lungs.’
- ‘A foreign body stuck in a pipe covers most situations.’
- ‘If there is a superficial foreign body inside the eye as a result of a glass/iron bit getting lodged in the eye, it needs to be removed as soon as possible.’
- ‘A general anaesthetic can interfere with the body's natural cough reflex, which normally helps prevent foreign bodies entering the breathing system.’
- ‘The DNA then starts making proteins that are recognised by the body as foreign bodies and attacked.’
- ‘That is, in spite of the importance of English to international relations, it remains a foreign body, and one that exists in school at the expense of other subjects.’
- ‘It is the foreign body that puts the body to work.’
- ‘The foreign body was removed through another surgery.’
- ‘Nature has provided glands that produce wax to keep foreign bodies like insects from entering the ear.’
- ‘Remember, your animal suffering a gastrointestinal foreign body does not constitute a lack of parenting or care.’
- ‘The cause of the accident was a foreign body which got jammed between the brake caliper and the inside of a wheel rim and machined a groove into the rim which caused an immediate failure.’
- ‘The drawing action of castor oil is also very useful for removing splinters or other foreign bodies from the eye, allowing the offending bodies to be removed along natural channels.’
- ‘An ultra-sound scan revealed the presence of a foreign body in her thigh muscle.’
- ‘This could mean the end of the rejection problem - when the body rejects a foreign body after transplantation.’
- ‘The body encounters myriad foreign bodies via the mucus lining of air passages.’
- ‘They are treated as foreign bodies that have to be extirpated from the body Hispanic.’
- ‘Come on, Bryan - you must have a foreign body stuck in your pipeline!’
- ‘Eye injuries may be caused by irritants such as sand, dirt, or other foreign bodies on the eye's surface.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.