One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The finger next to the thumb; the first or index finger.
- ‘She looked down at her left hand, the forefinger and thumb tattooed with gold, in a design much like a Signature.’
- ‘He holds up his hand, the little finger and the forefinger extended.’
- ‘Slowly they held their hands out but only with their forefinger and thumb extended.’
- ‘And scarily, just as I thought that, I felt myself being lifted out of my seat by a pair of lightly tanned, strong hands, with little black stars tattooed between the thumb and forefingers.’
- ‘He brought his hands together and intertwined the back six fingers with each other, putting the thumbs and forefingers into a rectangle.’
- ‘He was sitting down on a chair, elbows on his knees, his hands were clasped with his chin resting on his thumb and his forefingers extended, touching the tip of his nose.’
- ‘They touch the knuckle of the forefinger on their right hand to their foreheads in salute.’
- ‘Upon reaching the bottom position of triceps pushdowns, carefully shift pressure from the center of your palms to the crux of your thumbs and forefingers.’
- ‘He gently took her chin between his forefinger and his thumb and raised it so she could look him in the eyes.’
- ‘I pointed a forefinger to my forehead, then drew my finger across my lips, as he had.’
- ‘Disorderly adolescents made coarse gestures with their thumbs and forefingers.’
- ‘After I sat down, I was checking out the tablecloth and feeling it between my left thumb and forefingers, where it hung down over the edge about eight inches.’
- ‘Get someone to show you how to eat like the Moroccans using your thumb, two forefingers, and a piece of fresh-baked flatbread.’
- ‘Hold the floss taut between your thumbs and forefingers and gently guide a two-inch section between your teeth.’
- ‘If I put my hand really close to my face, I can squish the land between my forefinger and my thumb.’
- ‘He leaned back and sighed deeply, rubbing his temples with his forefingers and thumbs.’
- ‘Spend some time massaging the forefinger and thumb of each hand - this will improve your stamina and vitality.’
- ‘For example, he cannot oppose his right forefinger and thumb and can only, with difficulty, touch his mouth with his hand.’
- ‘Grip the club with pressure in the last three fingers of each hand, but with no pressure in the thumbs and forefingers.’
- ‘Reaching down, I clasped both zippers with my thumbs and forefingers and pulled them until they met.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.