One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An open area in front of a large building or petrol station.
- ‘To the front, a gravel forecourt provides plenty of off-street parking.’
- ‘The whole village should be clear of weeds within the next week or two with a huge effort made to clear gutters, forecourts of public buildings and other weedy sites.’
- ‘A recess in the long face of the building forms a small forecourt with a mobile sculpture by artist Susumu Shingo.’
- ‘Sandstone paving covering a forecourt folds up into elevations, locking the building into the ground.’
- ‘It has 160 square metres of living space and is accessed through high timber gates, with a cobble forecourt leading to the front door.’
- ‘Two steel umbrellas are suspended from a jutting frame to shade the forecourt and side patio.’
- ‘It currently houses three adjoining buildings comprising a forecourt, garage, two former retail units and an apartment.’
- ‘This will be achieved through two interrelated commissions: the design of general purpose buildings, and the reconfiguration and refurbishment of campus forecourts and ceremonial space.’
- ‘The little forecourt in front of the whitewashed building is a sea of crinoline and tails as the actors pause between takes.’
- ‘It has solid oak flooring, a fireplace with a coal-effect gas fire and a large bay window looking onto the forecourt at the front of the house.’
- ‘An appeal was made to everyone in the village to keep the paving in front of shops, forecourts, gardens, pathways etc free of litter.’
- ‘Both buildings are entered from a new forecourt and parking area on the west side of the site.’
- ‘Outside there is a parking forecourt to the front and an enclosed rear garden laid out in lawn with a south-easterly aspect.’
- ‘At the front, a cobblelock forecourt allows for parking for three cars.’
- ‘Outside the cobblelock forecourt to the front of the house is bordered by plants and shrubs and has plenty of space for offstreet parking.’
- ‘Everyone in the community is asked to show their support by clearing their own forecourts and surrounding areas of weeds and litter.’
- ‘To the front is a large forecourt with herbaceous borders and colourful flowerbeds.’
- ‘At the front, a gravel forecourt provides parking for three cars.’
- ‘Petrol stations with large forecourts and public houses with car parks attached are now so valuable that the profit to be derived from flogging them off to builders will far exceed the profit to be derived from continuing to trade.’
- ‘There is a petrol forecourt at the front and a retail unit at the rear.’
The part of the court between the service line and the net.
- ‘He is still not totally comfortable when moving into the forecourt and is rarely seen volleying.’
- ‘To the front there is an expansive lawn with a tarmac tennis court as well as a forecourt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.