Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The anterior part of the brain, including the cerebral hemispheres, the thalamus, and the hypothalamus.Also called prosencephalon
- ‘The result of the questionnaire is of course merely opinion, but here opinion corresponds rather closely with the evolution of the forebrain and cerebral cortex.’
- ‘Over time the neural tube expands at one end to form an embryonic brain with constrictions marking the forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain.’
- ‘Their forebrains are fused into a single indivisible whole, and they always die at birth.’
- ‘Studies will look at critical windows for brain development in the forebrain and hindbrain and will attempt to link exposures or disturbances at these times to subsequent behavior.’
- ‘They injected the animals' forebrains with a harmless virus carrying the gene responsible for expressing the receptors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.