Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pump used to move water or other liquid under greater than ambient pressure.
- ‘Common methods are a piston force pump driven by the engine, a hand piston force pump, and an injector.’
- ‘It is a double acting force pump, which can be adapted to either windmill or hand operation.’
- ‘The background of shear force pumps is as old as the Egyptians when it was used to remove water from the Nile River.’
- ‘They can be used as compressors or as force pumps, to produce vacuum and pressure at the same time.’
- ‘Most of the pitcher pumps and a few of the lift and force pumps are hand operated.’
- ‘One ingenious engineering element Smeaton built into his diving chest was a reservoir designed to ensure that any sudden failure of the force pump would not result in a shut-off of air.’
- ‘Baker's force pump stands are for use with windmills, pump jacks, or as a hand pump.’
- ‘Such suction and force pumps are used also for liquids which are to be stored in as sterile conditions as possible, for example for medical applications.’
- ‘From ten to twenty minutes a day with a good hand force pump will furnish a moderate supply.’
- ‘A powerful force pump drives the liquid to be filtered into the cells, where it passes from one to the other until they are all filled.’
- ‘It was a novelty, and they wanted to be with the force pump rather than in the bucket line.’
- ‘He also ground lenses and invented a force pump for a fountain, as well as a clockwork device that could allegedly keep going for one hundred years.’
- ‘A suction pump can become a force pump simply by reversing the process.’
- ‘When a reliable force pump was invented in 1788, those who ventured underwater could for the first time get sufficient compressed air, with the result that entirely new medical and physiological problems emerged.’
- ‘Such a combination of suction and force pump ensures a constant outflow at the exit.’
- ‘The card's more restricted I know (opposition requirement), but it just seemed to me on initial inspection that the shout deck would more readily benefit from being able to chose exactly what it needs in critical situations than wind up with just a couple extra force pumps.’
- ‘The force pump conveys the fluid medium required to operate the injector via an inlet which does not feed the extraction slot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.