Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The hole in the base of the skull through which the spinal cord passes.
- ‘Located at the base of the skull, the medulla oblongata is continuous with the spinal cord at the foramen magnum.’
- ‘At the level of the foramen magnum, where the spinal cord ends and the medulla oblongata begins, the gray matter undergoes a marked reorganization.’
- ‘The root lies dorsal to the rootlets of the 1st cervical nerve and the vertebral artery and can be followed through the foramen magnum into the cranial cavity.’
- ‘A malformed brain stem was attached to the foramen magnum.’
- ‘The cysts may localize anywhere within the CNS, but are often found at the base of the brain around the foramen magnum or surrounding the spinal cord.’
Latin, large opening.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.