Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A species of fish which is the prey of more valuable game fish.
- ‘Flooded banks with green vegetation are prime areas to attract forage fish and predatory bass.’
- ‘Overall, the report shows 144 stocks of food, game and forage fish, as well as shellfish, are not overfished.’
- ‘Mapping declining populations of forage fish is critical to protecting their habitat.’
- ‘Anadromous forage fish, such as eulachon or the Columbia River smelt and shad are managed separately.’
- ‘The sonar device emits subsurface sounds that imitate massed threadfin shad, the primary forage fish on most reservoirs.’
- ‘There seems to be three main types of forage fish that the chinook are feeding on (herring, needlefish, and shiner seapearch), so any lure or bait that mimics the natural feed should work.’
- ‘Researchers used a spotter planed equipped with a digital camera to photograph forage fish at the surface.’
- ‘This gives the forage fish a chance to stabilize and perhaps spawn a time or two before they are invaded by hungry bass.’
- ‘Traps should be checked daily and desirable fish released and forage fish removed for disposal.’
- ‘Although bass spawning occurs within a few days, forage fish may be observed on spawning beds through much of the summer, and individuals may spawn several times in a season.’
- ‘Biologists were also finding more capelin and other oily forage fish in critical habitat areas, amid signs that the natural cycle was swinging back to a cooler regime more suited to such fish.’
- ‘Alewives are considered a forage fish and have many predators.’
- ‘Depending on market prices the fish meal portion is usually from forage fish or poultry by-products (including feathers), and blood meal (with maize, soya or wheat) is used as a binder or filler.’
- ‘If you object to aquaculture's 2 to 1 efficiency, then you must really hate that a 5-pound wild salmon has consumed over 50 pounds of forage fish to grow to that size.’
- ‘Equipment for catching forage fish need not be fancy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.