One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
For the present; until some other arrangement is made.
for now, for the moment, for the present, in the interim, for the nonce, for the meantime, in the meantime, in the meanwhileView synonyms
- ‘The meeting also raises hopes that job action in the province is finished for the time being.’
- ‘But there are ways in which the amount liable can be reduced - at least for the time being.’
- ‘The tower has been redundant since the 1970s, but it will stay for the time being.’
- ‘He has decided not to make any attempt to help improve things in his native country for the time being.’
- ‘This is the review that recommended no more universities in Ireland for the time being.’
- ‘A meeting of Skipton Rural Council decided to cease offering council houses for the time being.’
- ‘This all points to a company that intends to remain mutually - owned, for the time being at least.’
- ‘However, he agreed to continue for the time being until a new secretary was appointed.’
- ‘It's been good enough for the time being and I haven't been looking actively for a replacement.’
- ‘Visions of a new car park at a well-loved Lancaster beauty spot have been blocked at least for the time being.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.