One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The male koel, foppishly clad in silky black, flutters enticingly close to a crow's nest, causing anxiety and outrage among the crows.’
- ‘With both hands foppishly buried in his jacket pockets, he contemplated us with a haughty look, cast a critical eye over the condition of the old courthouse and then walked with elegant disdain to his seat right in front of us.’
- ‘Whipping around foppishly like an imp, he handily takes on jester roles with equal success.’
- ‘And there's a song about ambling foppishly through the Tiergarten to the sound of a harp.’
- ‘A short, rather foppishly dressed fellow emerged from the group of sailors on board the Soaring Swan, the merchant vessel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.