Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The manner in which one moves one's feet in various sports, especially in dancing, boxing, and football.‘a deft piece of footwork’
- ‘The coaches wanted to check out his jump hook, bank shot, footwork, agility and power moves.’
- ‘In the gym I tend to do a lot of plyometrics and explosive work because a lot of fencing is about footwork and changing the rhythm.’
- ‘Ellis Johnson puts himself in position to make plays, using proper footwork and good angles.’
- ‘The defensive player must use good footwork and keep moving to avoid being pinned for a layup.’
- ‘Can stop and start without losing momentum and is able to work back inside with good footwork and the use of club and rip moves.’
- ‘This delicate piece, with its intricate footwork, was danced especially well by the men.’
- ‘Others disagree, saying that a player can develop good footwork through practice.’
- ‘He impressed coaches with his strength and even impressed some of his teammates with his footwork.’
- ‘When he stopped he started doing some even more complicated footwork, this time moving from left to right.’
- ‘Cirillo changed his footwork in an effort to stride more into pitches and calmed the bat movement above his head.’
- ‘His legs suddenly allowed him to move faster and his footwork became a pattern, energy flowed into his legs and caused him to sprint faster.’
- ‘Molina focused on shortening up his footwork and his arm action when he makes throws.’
- ‘This teaches them footwork, spin moves and getting used to using their bodies.’
- ‘Barron must work on his footwork, positioning, punch and overall technique to excel.’
- ‘He has been hitting early every day and has worked on his footwork to improve his defensive play.’
- ‘Many outstanding bowlers have performed in unusual manners not related to footwork or release.’
- ‘Each couple emphasized footwork as they moved together and with the group.’
- ‘The Ukrainian recovered to produce a double Axel and a difficult straight line footwork all on one foot.’
- ‘Soccer develops great footwork because you have to be able to use either foot.’
- ‘The Cowboys will work with him in the offseason to improve his footwork and technique.’
- 1.1Adroit response to sudden danger or new opportunities.‘the company had to do a lot of nimble footwork to stay alive’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.