Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A low hill at the base of a mountain or mountain range.‘the camp lies in the foothills of the Andes’
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘Most of his training is done in the foothills of the Dublin Mountains.’
- ‘The village of Kakariko, a lazy and sleepy town at the foothills of Death Mountain, was shrouded in a tired and laid back theme.’
- ‘Ambrose was born into a farming family in the townland of Castlerock on the foothills of the Ox Mountains.’
- ‘The rich volcanic soils of the foothills and mountains are some of the best in the country.’
- ‘It came from along the foothills of the Ox Mountains and was probably unearthed in Scraith near Aclare.’
- ‘I supervise eight rural health centres in the west of Uganda, scattered among the foothills of the Rwenzori mountains.’
- ‘By late afternoon the following day they reached the foothills of the mountains.’
- ‘Murroe Village lies at the foothills of Slievefelim Mountain and is steeped in local history.’
- ‘As the bus heads on into the pine-clad foothills of Sierra Madre mountains, I think back to how my quest began.’
- ‘Qazvin, like Tehran, sits in the foothills of the Alborz mountain range, which skirts the south coast of the Caspian Sea.’
- ‘In the foothills of the Mátra mountains the soils are mainly volcanic and most of the wine produced is white.’
- ‘The northern foothills of the Ox Mountains are clearly an area under pressure from such development.’
- ‘To the south is the Fraser River, and to the north, the Golden Ears mountains and their foothills.’
- ‘They've finally gotten to the foothills and the jagged mountain peaks are getting close.’
- ‘Stay at the foothills of the Maya Mountains and hike along miles of nature trails.’
- ‘It was mid-afternoon by the time they had reached the rolling foothills of the mountains and the first stream.’
- ‘Ardcairn is at the foothills of the Dublin mountains but within commuting distance of the city centre.’
- ‘The source turned out to be a park near Acidalia's house, in the foothills of the mountains.’
- ‘I grasped for landmarks, as we ascended the foothills of the Dublin Mountains.’
- ‘It sat on an island in the river and, not far behind it, the foothills to the Erissa Mountains rose sharply towards the clear blue sky.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.