One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1in combination A person or thing of a specified number of feet in length or height.‘a tall, sturdy six-footer’
- 1.1 A kick of a football performed with a specified foot.‘he hammered a low left-footer past the keeper’
- ‘This time they turned to hooker Slattery and he nonchalantly slotted a left footer through the posts from the 22 metre line.’
- ‘Frandsen skims the angle with a scorching right footer after a determined run.’
- 1.1 A kick of a football performed with a specified foot.
2variant of footy
3A line or block of text appearing at the foot of each page of a book or document.Compare with header (sense 4)
- ‘Headers and footers occur on the HTML page before and after the original document.’
- ‘It can now be a breeze to update page content such as headers, footers, navigation bars and changing products.’
- ‘Every single page has a footer for customer feedback.’
- ‘A theme is a set of graphically designed page headers, footers, site navigation bars, columns and tables.’
- ‘So he was forced to put the ball on the floor and shoot 8-and 10 - footers rather than catch lobs from Cota.’
- ‘We recommend including this in the footer of every page of your site to reinforce that you're local to the prospects.’
- ‘Finally, the footer at the bottom of the page looks odd.’
- ‘Once you're authenticated, you can use the special menu items that appear in the footer of every page to make the configuration changes you desire.’
- ‘In this way, it is possible to assemble a page from individual elements - beginning with headers and footers and moving on to tables and pull-down menus.’
- ‘I also put the graphical language link in our global footer, so on every page there is a link to the Korean and Japanese pages.’
- ‘Rather, provide an alternate way to navigate the site such as a set of text links in the footer of your site.’
- ‘For example, your footer may only require 20 lines of CSS for its styling.’
- ‘I added a ‘Sitemap’ link to all page footers, upgraded the noframes entrance to something slightly more useful and wondered whether it was enough.’
- ‘In the first article we used PHP to include common page elements such as headers and footers on our pages dynamically.’
- ‘In the footer, put the page number, your name, and your phone number and/or e-mail address.’
- ‘Naturally, some weenies in the online feedback section on the footer of the page are upset by Milne's heresy.’
- ‘For example, a header, footer and sidebar appear on every page.’
- ‘Menu bars use either graphics or text links while footers almost exclusively use text links.’
- ‘Our class could then use DOM methods to attach the header to the beginning of the document and the footer to the end.’
Fiddle about.‘he nodded and started to footer with his watch’
- ‘This opportunity is staring us in the face and we are all footering around.’
- ‘In the meantime, fiddling and footering is about the best he can do.’
- ‘Give this girl a gimmick, leave her to fiddle and footer about with it into the wee small hours and, in no time, she's smitten.’
Mid 18th century: variant of obsolete foutre ‘valueless thing, contemptible person’, from Old French.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.