One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular football team.‘30,000 English football supporters descended upon their city’
- ‘A fan has been jailed for three years for his part in a fight between football supporters.’
- ‘The average football supporter spends £805 pampering his partner throughout the year.’
- ‘There is little concern over the behaviour of the football supporters, with none of the visitors considered potential hooligans.’
- ‘The anticipated honour for the 23-year-old Dubliner can be partly attributed to an Internet campaign by Irish football supporters throughout the world.’
- ‘He was more a football supporter than a rugby fan.’
- ‘There were a lot of football supporters who had got off the ferry.’
- ‘He has been fined for punching a rival football supporter in the street.’
- ‘The band has a huge fan base who are more like football supporters than music fans.’
- ‘His family were keen football supporters.’
- ‘Now a city director, he said: "There is no archetypal football supporter."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.