Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance suitable for consumption as food.‘the people depend on sago starch as a basic foodstuff’‘rationing of staple foodstuffs was introduced’
nourishment, sustenance, nutriment, subsistence, fare, bread, daily breadView synonyms
- ‘We have been mentioning the shortage of basic foodstuffs in the stores of Zimbabwe.’
- ‘Even in Haflong, the markets are grappling to supply adequate foodstuffs.’
- ‘Basic foodstuffs such as sugar, flour and cooking oil have disappeared from supermarket shelves.’
- ‘The two most common foodstuffs in Holland seem to be chocolate and cheese.’
- ‘The fuel price hike will eventually lead to an increase in the prices of staple foodstuffs and transportation.’
- ‘We are talking about whether to spend money on a bus fare to the nearest clinic or buy basic foodstuffs.’
- ‘There were frequent power cuts and only limited supplies of bread and other basic foodstuffs.’
- ‘A long-handled spoon helps to savour the foodstuff in small and leisurely mouthfuls, in true connoisseur's style.’
- ‘For those who have the means, a suitable amount of foodstuffs to lay by would be the quantity that they ordinarily use in one week.’
- ‘The January price increase affected rice, milk, meat and cheese, among other foodstuffs.’
- ‘The strike had a severe impact on grocery stores nationwide, with many lacking the most basic foodstuffs.’
- ‘The assumed relation between purchase of foodstuffs and food consumption is probably reasonable.’
- ‘In a typical test, 50 or 60 substances representing different foodstuffs are tested.’
- ‘But he discovered there were no basic foodstuffs in the house and drove back into town to get some.’
- ‘Stacia's lasting memory of wartimes was the difficulty they had of getting basic foodstuffs.’
- ‘Manufacturers regularly added chalk to bread and more unsavoury unnatural ingredients to other foodstuffs.’
- ‘When empty do not use this pack to store foodstuffs, it says.’
- ‘With a bulk shop online once every few weeks you can top up on all basic foodstuffs and household items.’
- ‘Remember that pasta is not a staple foodstuff when it's completely al dente.’
- ‘Clay pots were also produced that could store grain and other foodstuffs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.