Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet.‘he is an avid foodie and successful restaurateur’
hedonist, pleasure seeker, pleasure lover, sensualist, sybarite, voluptuaryView synonyms
- ‘This attitude makes me worse than a foodie snob - I'm a foodie writing snob.’
- ‘And if we're now a nation of foodies how come we spend more than ever on fast food?’
- ‘Not only that, the gourmet cuisine he serves attracts smoking foodies who will adhere to his rules.’
- ‘Some foodies readily dismiss the taco as either mundane or common or even both.’
- ‘Spotting other foodies and restaurateurs eating there too is a good start.’
- ‘Italian foodies can check out the Chicken Lasagne.’
- ‘Hurst House is a private social club for foodies and uses food bought and prepared fresh each day.’
- ‘Gourmet joints would rather treat foodies to a fresh flush of exotic scents, swivelling sounds, wavy hues and crispy accents.’
- ‘The Mad Aunt and I were accompanied by her son and his partner, all of whom are foodies, veggies or both.’
- ‘The activists want all cruelty to animals stopped; the foodies want the best food money can buy.’
- ‘For example, farmers should be foodies, eager to sell a ‘food experience’ to their customers, he said.’
- ‘At the moment it is keen foodies signing up, but there is scope for corporate events too.’
- ‘The brick oven was roaring at Enrico's, the neighborhood ristorante in Shadyside that's a haunt for foodies seeking rustic retro classics.’
- ‘In part, it's an upmarket deli with the sort of food labels that make foodies purr with contentment.’
- ‘Share tasty adventures with other foodies who are passionate about great food and wine!’
- ‘A group of highly talented food writers, chefs, restaurateurs, authors, and foodies contribute.’
- ‘Few caused as much excitement and interest as Brian Maule's Chardon D' or among Scottish foodies.’
- ‘As for the foodies, he says that the food festival is the best bet since the cuisine includes dishes from north and south Italy.’
- ‘As regular readers may know, I'm quite a foodie - I love food and drink, enjoy cooking, love buying food and eating good meals.’
- ‘Both are avid foodies, and would like a choice of places to eat out at night.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.