One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a variety of grains that are grown for human consumption, such as wheat, oats, etc.
- ‘We will have to change our priorities to think, not only as Mahatma Gandhi said, of the last person, but to think of the last foodgrain.’
- ‘Until then, there will be a stockpile of foodgrains on the one side, and starvation deaths on the other.’
- ‘At the end of the month, all the foodgrain is sold, and the money carefully put away for cheap lending to any member in times of need.’
- ‘It is because the abundant foodgrains can't be distributed properly that this starvation is happening.’
- ‘This apart, foodgrains are used for embossing on the pottery to render ‘value-addition’ to the creations.’
- ‘Besides, they generously donate foodgrains to the old age homes.’
- ‘Concurrently, the rate of growth of APCOM's support prices for foodgrains and oilseeds have been less than the rate of inflation.’
- ‘He points out that India had, in 2001, over 60 million tonnes of foodgrains stored in reserve, much of it open to the weather and subject to spoilage.’
- ‘Every month the twenty city lodges collect foodgrains for distribution to the needy.’
- ‘Agricultural production is likely to increase by a whopping 13.8% this year with foodgrains growing even faster at 14.2%.’
- ‘Chandra was not much of a student, so at 19 he plunged into the family foodgrain business in Hissar, a town in India's northern breadbasket.’
- ‘The season when foodgrains are harvested in the fields and brought home is an occasion for celebration in many parts of our country.’
- ‘As part of the relief operation, a five-member team of the trust visited the areas and distributed 250 packets of foodgrains among the affected.’
- ‘The foodgrains that were being looked into were lentils, bajra, jowari and corn to name a few, he said.’
- ‘During yagnas, gold coins, diamonds, expensive silk sarees, ghee and foodgrain are offered to Agni as ‘sacrifice’, the party said.’
- ‘The budget fails to extend the Public Distribution System for foodgrains to the entire country.’
- ‘In addition, there will be organic foodgrains, natural juices and hand-made paper at the bazaar.’
- ‘Agriculture performance was robust with the stock of foodgrains crossing 63 million tonnes.’
- ‘Indian stocks of foodgrains may be reaching record levels, but farmers are finding it very difficult to find remunerative price for their products.’
- ‘The reason is the huge quantity of water needed to grow fodder, which can be used to grow foodgrains.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.