One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a voucher issued cheaply by the state to those on low income and exchangeable for food.
- ‘Only recently have immigrant adults and all legal immigrant children under the age of 18 become eligible for food stamp benefits in California.’
- ‘That's an increase of six million hungry people since the 1996 welfare reform, with its massive cuts in food stamp programs.’
- ‘But food stamp use fell off 40 percent after 1994, although fewer families were receiving welfare and more had joined the ranks of the working poor.’
- ‘In the food stamp program, for instance, an additional $100 of income reduces benefits by $24.’
- ‘She's urging the state to require customer service jobs for food stamp recipients be located in the state of Wisconsin.’
- ‘I heard a food stamp recipient say he was only getting back what he had paid in taxes.’
- ‘The US grows 40 percent more food than it needs, but hunger is widespread and 26 million people in America rely on food stamp assistance.’
- ‘It's very dehumanizing to have to go and beg for food, you know; and then they want to ask you, ‘Can I see your food stamp card?’’
- ‘Such was the case despite the scope of the federal food stamp arid school lunch programs.’
- ‘Forty states already rely on overseas help desks for their food stamp recipients.’
- ‘For example, Section 32 financed a pilot food stamp program for several years in the early 1940s.’
- ‘The bipartisan Hunger Relief Act would remove some outdated and unreasonable barriers to the food stamp program.’
- ‘And as we reported earlier this month, the overseas outsourcing of work even extends to the U.S. government's food stamp program.’
- ‘In Maryland, food stamp recipients don't actually get ‘stamps’ anymore.’
- ‘This week in Texas, authorities were soon overwhelmed by food stamp applications - 26,000 in four days.’
- ‘More than 1.1 million New Yorkers had food stamp benefits reduced or eliminated.’
- ‘As Congress haggles over food stamp cuts, soup kitchens fear longer lines.’
- ‘The federal food stamp ban places an unequal burden on the poor, people of color, and individuals with children.’
- ‘As the recession deepened, food stamp and welfare rolls began to rise in most US states.’
- ‘The budget decrease in the USDA budget includes cuts to food stamp payments and farm subsidy payments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.