Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A species of fish which is used as food by humans, or forms a major part of the diet of a particular predator.
- ‘All were, or had been, important food fish, and all had suffered from the building of dams on coastal rivers.’
- ‘A highly valued food fish, the turbot lives along sand and gravel shores.’
- ‘Coral reefs act as safe havens for food fish to reproduce and grow.’
- ‘This said, true tilapia fish are appreciated food fish in many countries.’
- ‘The quantity of food fish in some stretches is amazing.’
- ‘The freshwater sawfish has been targeted as a food fish and the saws have been sold as souvenirs.’
- ‘We've basically depleted our bank account, the ocean, of those important food fish species.’
- ‘Understanding such lifestyles is important for managing the harvest of food fish in the Amazon.’
- ‘Channel catfish are the most commonly raised food fish species in the United States.’
- ‘Esox lucius is a prized game fish and is used as a commercial food fish in Eastern Europe.’
- ‘Catfish are one of the dominant food fish, popular in aquaculture, and frequently the basis of community-level fisheries.’
- ‘Persons who are producing aquatic organisms for sale as food fish must have a permit.’
- ‘The average retail price for food fish was between $14,500 and $16,500 per ton, but ornamental fish typically trade at a hefty $1.8 million per ton.’
- ‘They are too small to be considered a food fish for humans.’
- ‘Fish farming has boomed in the past three decades and now supplies some 40 percent of the world's total food fish supply.’
- ‘Numbers of bream have been diminished across their range as they are a highly prized food fish.’
- ‘Besides being a food fish, M. electricus is also occasionally encountered in the pet trade as an aquarium fish.’
- ‘They lost a lot of that business on Thursday and Friday night, and they also lost a lot of food fish and meat.’
- ‘The Atlantic salmon is renowned among game fishermen and is a highly prized food fish.’
- ‘Due to their great range and extensive use as food fish, scombrids bear many common names and have long been familiar to humans.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.