One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where stocks of food, typically basic provisions and non-perishable items, are supplied free of charge to people in need.
- ‘Instead, the long lines are forming across the railroad tracks at the nonprofit food bank, Community Services Agency.’
- ‘They build low-income housing, run literacy classes, sponsor a food bank, and run emergency shelters and a childcare center.’
- ‘Streetlight also offers an art room, a food bank and drop-in hours.’
- ‘At present we are involved in a food bank, a soup kitchen and twice a month we do a street run.’
- ‘The food bank not only works for the greater Pittsburgh community but also works in it by reclaiming a brownfield site.’
- ‘She said that corporations would view a student food bank differently than a community food bank.’
- ‘Oregon's whitefish trawl now sorts and counts salmon by-catch on the dock and freezes them for a local food bank.’
- ‘Work at a community food bank or soup kitchen as a family.’
- ‘Running the food bank each month costs about $1,300, Komnick said.’
- ‘If you're overwhelmed with produce and cut flowers, take some to your local food bank, shelter or soup kitchen.’
- ‘Please do those food drives through your local food bank.’
- ‘Like the drop-in centre for street kids, the community centre has a variety of programs, including a food bank and clothing for the poor.’
- ‘Our local church says their food bank empties out monthly.’
- ‘Some of these same farmers have themselves provided potatoes to the food bank for years.’
- ‘Now entering its sixth season, the food bank offers one-time emergency grocery assistance to those in a tight financial position.’
- ‘When guests arrive, they can drop their cans into a barrel, and you can make a donation to your local food bank - just in time for the holiday season.’
- ‘Work on things to make life easier for students like free flu shots, the food bank and microwaves around campus.’
- ‘If produce can't be sold from the warehouse it is given to the food bank; if inedible, it's composted.’
- ‘Most recently, she has been volunteering for the campus food bank and at a local bakery, which provides meaningful work for people with special needs.’
- ‘The Nunavut food bank is expanding its reach by including outlying communities in its second annual general meeting on Sunday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.