One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people inhabiting the southern part of Benin.
- ‘The most obvious African kin of Caribbean religions are the practices of the Yoruba and the Fon.’
- ‘The Fon (founders of the Dahomey kingdom) are the largest group.’
- ‘The Asante, Ewe, Fon and Fante peoples provided the bulk of imports into Barbados.’
- ‘Worsening relations between expansionist France and the warlike Fon of the West African kingdom of Dahomey came to a head in 1890.’
2mass noun The language of the Fon, belonging to the Kwa group, with about 1 million speakers.
- ‘Kidjo sings primarily in the West African languages of Fon and Yoruba.’
- ‘The two major languages in the south are Fon and Yoruba.’
- ‘She is a three-time Grammy nominee who sings in English, French and two African languages, Yoruba and Fon.’
- ‘Fifty percent of the population speaks Fon.’
Relating to the Fon or their language.
- ‘The six Yoruba markings (three on each cheek), and the ten Fon markings (two on each cheek, temples, and forehead) are readily discernible.’
- ‘Other subjects are diverse: the slave trade to Tsarist Russia, Fon proverbs, and the heritage of the slave trade in the literature of areas that received large slave populations.’
- ‘He painted Avlekete, the Fon spirit of the sea, outside, next to the wall of juxtaposed African and African Diaspora Vodun symbols.’
- ‘I know that the Fon tribe are inclined to construct interminable systems of analogies between events or between people.’
- ‘Meanwhile captive Fon dignitaries, hoping to secure a French withdrawal, suggested Behanzin's brother Goutchile (later renamed Agoli-Agbo) as a puppet king.’
- ‘Today Benin includes not only the ancient Fon kingdom of Dahomey but also areas inhabited by many other groups.’
- ‘It was also possible in some societies, such as the Fon kingdom of Dahomey or the Igbo, for a woman to acquire the rights of a husband over another woman.’
- ‘The puppets wear the clothing and regalia of Fon chiefs, attesting to the interethnic community of Nago and Fon peoples.’
- ‘For the Fon people, the primacy of Eshu (whom they call Legba) comes about through his linguistic ability, his proficiency at communicating.’
- ‘The traditional dances of the Fon people are well-known.’
- ‘For in talking about his native Fon tribe, Olympe is talking about language in general and about writing novels in particular.’
The name in Fon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.