One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.‘I realized I was a lifelong sufferer of FOMO’
- ‘His new Austin restaurant QUI is opening in mid-May, but he says the potential FOMO of missing the cruise far outweighed the stress of temporarily abandoning the preparations.’
- ‘It sounds straightforward - just step away from the devices, unplug from the gadgets - but such is our addiction to constant digital availability that we get FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) if we are offline for more than half an hour at a go.’
- ‘The goal of the app is to help users deal with FOMO - or Fear of Missing Out - a psychological condition that the creators believe is running rampant thanks to the increasing popularity of social media.’
- ‘The symptoms of the epidemic, known by its acronym FOMO, include the inability to put away one's mobile phone, excessive phone texting even while driving, and showing up at events uninvited.’
- ‘According to interviews and diaries kept by survey participants, FOMO (the fear of missing out) and FONK (the fear of not knowing) drove young people to constantly check their phones for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter feeds and new emails and texts.’
- ‘If you didn't see it this week, the oft-cited current cultural trend "FOMO", fear of missing out, will get you tuning in next week.’
- ‘While FOMO has been a constant companion of mine, it has never been as powerful as it is right now.’
- ‘Constant real-time awareness - through Facebook check-ins and Twitter updates - of the fun everyone is having can spark the instant insecurity of FOMO, or fear of missing out.’
- ‘I keep relentlessly busy because I suffer from FOMO, or fear of missing out.’
- ‘Get yourself a ticket rather than deal with the guaranteed FOMO you'll experience later.’
- ‘We all live internet lives, where we present the best version of ourselves on the web, and when we see everyone else having more fun than us, we experience anxiety and FOMO.’
- ‘I have a serious case of FOMO that is incommensurate with my age.’
- ‘But alas, I admit to suffering from the irrational FOMO (fear of missing out) syndrome.’
Early 21st century: abbreviation of fear of missing out.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.