Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The opening act was Amos Lee, an amazing, folky, charismatic singer/songwriter who was just accompanied by his guitar.’
- ‘A formidable songstress in her own right, the West Philly native comes home for an intimate evening of folky soul.’
- ‘It starts off with a 1: 30-long track that's just handclaps and vocals, but doesn't sound particularly folky.’
- ‘I've shifted from being all Gaelic to being a mixture of both, but in a folky way.’
- ‘If you like the moody and folky sound coming out of Glasglow these days, you can't go wrong with Y'all Get Scared Now Ya Hear.’
- ‘Although Copperspine is happy with this recent success, it's business as usual for them - they're sticking to their artist-centred, folky guns.’
- ‘On the TV once, Donna Air's first question to folky siblings The Corrs was: ‘So how did you first meet?’’
- ‘There's adult music that I like, world beat or rootsy, folky stuff, but you won't see the band doing much adult music.’
- ‘I didn't fancy the look of the lyrics on the website, nor the description of his new album as ‘folk’, and the song itself is, well, folky.’
- ‘Her voice is almost a little girlish while still being intensely adult and slightly reminiscent of a folky, 60's goddess.’
- ‘Her music, soft, almost folky, retains enough rhythm to be labelled rock, but throwing any clumsy label on it is not any critic's place.’
- ‘It's a moody blend that makes me think of bands like the Rheostatics or other folky, 70's inspired bands.’
- ‘It gives a similar soothing and tranquil atmosphere but not boring, with its folky textures and jazz inflected sounds.’
- ‘Mercer's voice is unexpectedly beautiful with a great range, which lends a folky richness that works well for this catchy indie-rock band.’
- ‘But one real highlight is Elliott Smith's folky lethargy on ‘Needle in the Hay’.’
- ‘‘It was weird, we started getting all these reviews saying we were quite folky sounding,’ he says.’
- ‘A Northern Rivers resident for just over a month now, Lisa is already building up a strong local following with her folky, acoustic performances.’
- ‘Plenty of folky singer-songwriters have a reputation for making introspective, melancholy music, but none quite like Smith's.’
- ‘I'm so impressed with these guys folky side projects.’
- ‘Mary Lou's folky interpretations are not better than the originals; they're different, pared down, just a girl and a guitar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.