Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Popular music resembling or derived from folk music but incorporating the stronger beat of rock music and using electric instruments.[as modifier] ‘a folk rock band’
- ‘They weren't a real good guitar rock band, a real good folk rock band, and their experimentation leaves an entire list of somethings to be desired.’
- ‘To say the least, Jimmy, who brands the music as ‘folk songs with really loud guitars - heavy-metal folk rock,’ is stoked about the event.’
- ‘It starts off folk rock in feel, and builds up to a cosmic funk coda!’
- ‘At McRory's on Easby Road on Sunday night you can catch some fine acts ranging from folk rock, cajun, blues, jazz and country rock.’
- ‘This may not be entirely surprising given that Britain's greatest folk rock band, Fairport Convention, came from Oxfordshire.’
- ‘He defiantly uses his laptop computer to push his music career and keep his folk rock pure.’
- ‘I have an eclectic taste in music, but with a particular fondness for jazz and folk rock.’
- ‘On balance, if you like folk rock, The Beta Band or Granddaddy, it's probably worth taking a chance on Tiger Flies.’
- ‘The group's music cannot easily be sorted into a defined genre as their numbers have been influenced by blues, folk rock and jazz.’
- ‘Now there's something you don't see at every folk rock show.’
- ‘Like Beck he's not frightened of mixing bluegrass religiosity, slacker nonchalance or even English folk rock.’
- ‘From the opening track, the Waltons make a beat and hold it for a stirring hour of folk rock in their most recent album Liv.’
- ‘This debut is full of feelgood tracks (none of which are particularly original) that will no doubt appeal to fans of country / folk rock.’
- ‘Born in Buffalo in 1954, Case grew up squarely in the middle of the rise of folk rock and the continuing influence of the British Invasion bands.’
- ‘Drifting from folk rock to retro surf music and into classic guitar rock 'n' roll, the Durga's sound captivates all who hear it.’
- ‘Still, what the masses may have hated the music fan might appreciate, and in the history of folk rock, it at least deserves a footnote.’
- ‘Other local musicians taking part will be folk rock band Orum and songwriter/singer/guitarist Nathan.’
- ‘The Byrds were eventually to develop the genre of country rock as they had invented folk rock years before, all under the leadership of McGuinn.’
- ‘In the 1980s, Linda and her then husband, Richard Thompson, were the voices of British folk rock.’
- ‘This is folk rock for people that don't like folk rock.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.