One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Music that originates in traditional popular culture or that is written in such a style. Folk music is typically of unknown authorship and is transmitted orally from generation to generation.
- ‘The music accompanying the ballet will feature the style of Southeast China folk music.’
- ‘This is folk music with an Eastern tinge to it, done by musicians in the deep American South.’
- ‘There are no simple explanations for the remarkable transformation of Celtic music from folk music to world music.’
- ‘I was mostly an acoustic guitar player and I listened to a lot of folk music.’
- ‘I have never owned or been interested in folk music, except Woody Guthrie, who transcends it.’
- ‘In the band Franco played all types of music on the accordion from Russian folk music to Beatles hits.’
- ‘When it all comes down to it, what I really want is folk music to still be around.’
- ‘With a few exceptions the Orchestra's entire repertoire is traditional Russian folk music.’
- ‘Its tranquil moments convey a nostalgic yearning common to Japanese folk music.’
- ‘Musically, the sextet mixes punk and ska with Klezmer and Eastern European folk music.’
- ‘The melodeon or German accordion is a single-action button accordion, very popular for folk music.’
- ‘No one does a better job transforming folk music into something special than Sadikova.’
- ‘It's with that in mind that Sokel plays everything from dub and reggae to pop and folk music.’
- ‘By its very nature, Irish traditional music is a folk music, simple and uncomplicated.’
- ‘Most anyone with an ear for the more deranged side of folk music will find something to like.’
- ‘I guess, when it all comes down to it, I just want folk music to be around still.’
- ‘What do we learn about the burgeoning folk music scene Dylan went on to define and later monopolise?’
- ‘And these different genres, like folk music and dance music, come out of that.’
- ‘Folk music wouldn't be folk music without songs of political responsibility and social justice.’
- ‘Scorcese managed to place the event in its true context by tracing Dylan's journey through folk music.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.