One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is greatly admired for their achievements by the ordinary people of a country or region.‘a book about famous Scottish folk hero and outlaw Rob Roy McGregor’
- ‘For many Malians, the ancestors who actively resisted colonization are folk heroes.’
- ‘The songs are based on the exploits of a well-known folk hero.’
- ‘Many of their folk heroes achieved their status through courageous battles with oppressors.’
- ‘It is named for a Jamaican folk hero, "John Canoe."’
- ‘The invasion has made the dictator a folk hero throughout a region where he was previously unpopular.’
- ‘Suddenly, the cowboy was elevated to the status of a national folk hero.’
- ‘They're the folk heroes of the new millennium.’
- ‘The persecuted poor of Australia turn the Kelly brothers into folk heroes, a modern-day Robin Hood.’
- ‘Popular songs are sung by folk heroes with humble origins.’
- ‘That commitment to science made him a folk hero among engineers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.